Welcome to tweeetalondoncab, the service that is hoping to help connect punters to drivers. We are a small collective of Licensed London Taxi Drivers (anyone want to suggest a collective noun for cabbies? – A whinge?) who have been using Twitter as a means of keeping in touch while we work; updating each other on roadworks, work opportunities and general cabbie chit-chat. Occasional requests to book us have come from followers, so the obvious next step is try and harness the power of Twitter to launch @tweetalondoncab. At present we are quite a small group of drivers, so we are trying to start slowly, test out how this will all work, and see where it takes us. Because of the small numbers of drivers at present, we envisage that this service will be primarily for pre-booked journeys, rather than the more “it’s 2am on a Saturday morning, standing on the Strand with no orange lights in sight”, type of journey!
For this to work we need to set some guidelines, but we want to keep them to a minimum, and hope that the open nature of Twitter will work to everyones benefit.
- If you want to use the service you’ll need to follow @tweetalondoncab, if you do we will follow you back, assuming you aren’t one of those nasty Britney Spears Video type spambots.
- When you want to book a journey send a Direct Message (DM) to @tweetalondoncab stating the time, exact location & destination of your desired trip. Please also include a mobile phone no, as you probably know Twitter isn’t always behaving, & this may be the only way we can contact you. Any driver or drivers that can cover the trip will then msg you directly to offer their services. In the unlikely event that more than one driver gets back to you, please respond to the first driver that contacts you & make the final arrangements through a DM with him.
- Make sure that any personal information you give out is done as a DM, @tweetalondoncab is an open account, therefore any general msg will be out there, and viewable, in the general twitterverse.
- Please try and give us as much notice as you can when planning your journey. We currently think that 30 minutes before you want to travel would be ideal.
- This is an experiment of a socio-technological nature that may require your patient and understanding while we listen and learn how to run this the best way.
- Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that your request will be met, another reason to plan ahead, and we won’t be offended if you hail a cab from the street before you make an arrangement with us. We’d just rather you didn’t do that if a driver is already on his way to an agreed pick-up. If you don’t hear back from us, it’s not because we are rude, it’s probably that we are all just a bit busy working and won’t be able to help you on that occasion.
- Finally, please tell us how the experience went, and more importantly tell the twitterverse too!
So, hopefully, you’ll have made the “deal” with a driver, completed your trip in style, fallen in love with us forever, and most importantly you’ll remember to use us again.
We are not looking to compete with any of the established radio circuits, nor are we a profit making service. With this in mind there will be no surcharges, and meters will not be engaged until you are in the cab. We will clearly be relying on the trust factor that is such an important part of Twitter, and from our side you can be assured that all the drivers are verified Licensed London Taxi Drivers. Some of you may have already had the pleasure of being picked up by @londontaximan or @cabbiescapital, both part of the brains trust behind @tweetalondoncab. So, it’s over to all you lovely people in the Twitterverse; give us a Tweet and meet some of London’s finest cabbies.
If you have any further queries or questions, feel free to contact @cabbiescapital or @londontaximan. And whatever you do, don’t forget to follow us by clicking on this link.